Google My Business Centre Short Name
Your Google short name is in essence very similar to your ‘page username’ on Facebook and provides an easy way to access your Google My Business profile for users.
Google has recently introduced a new feature to the Google My Business Centre dashboard called ‘short name’.
Why is it useful?
It allows business owners to send a direct link to their profile page should someone require access to contact information, directions or if they wish to leave a review. Businesses can add these short names on to email signatures, business cards, posters and other promotional material.
How do I set up my short name?
- Access your Google My Business profile
- Click on the info tab down the left-hand side of the options
- Scroll down to find ‘short name’
- Select the Short name you wish to use
- Your short name will then look something like this g.page/webandrolluk
Things to note...
- Depending on when you are reading this article, Google has only rolled this feature out for people with existing profiles on My Business Centre. It is expected to be fully rolled out soon.
- Short names are on a first come first served basis. If you want yours, act fast.
- If your short name is unavailable then Google will suggest an alternative short name to be used in its place, try editing the suggested name to get something preferable.
- Your short name must be at least 5 characters long and is subject to all the usual Google guidelines.
- Your short name can only be changed 3 times over a 12-month period.
Why should I bother?
The new feature provides an easy way for people to find further information about your business and ultimately interact with it. But most importantly like anything new on Google My Business, it’s always worth embracing. Google my business centre provides a fantastic platform for businesses to promote themselves locally. Adhering to how Google prefer you to manage your Business Centre Account is always recommended to achieve the best results.
About the author
Ian is both Google & Bing certified. With his 10 years experience in the field, he heads up the marketing department at Web & Roll. On a personal level Ian is a big football fan and loves any excuse to take a client for 18 holes of golf!